Pulse Oximeter is a device used to measure oxygenated haemoglobin portion in blood. The method of recording is known as Pulse Oximetry that helps in monitoring oxygen saturation levels in a human being.
Earlier the use of oximeter is in hospitals for patients, but now due to the second wave of pandemic and increase in corona positive patients, the oxygen level of almost 80% of the patients are going down. Therefore, keeping a check on oxygen saturation level is necessary.
Here, we are going to discuss various aspects, uses, and benefits of oximeter in detail.
How to Use Pulse Oximeter?
Before checking oxygen level, one must check that there is no nail polish or false nails applied on the finger. And, if your hand is cold, then rub it and let it come to room temperature. It helps in monitoring the correct oxygen saturation level of the patient.
Steps to Monitor Oxygen Level:
- First, rest still on a chair for 5 minutes and let your body relax.
- Keep your hand near your chest and hold it straight.
- Place oximeter in your middle or index finger correctly.
- Switch on the meter and let the device monitor the oxygen level.
- It may take up to one minute, so be patient until the correct oximeter reading is recorded in the device.
- Once the highest result is still for 5-6 seconds, it means your oxygen saturation level.
If you have serious health issues, then monitor your oxygen level thrice a day, and if it comes below 90%, then contact a doctor for further treatment.
Price of Oximeter
There are different oximeters available in the market with a different oximeter price range. It varies from the basic price of INR 900 to INR 2500, depending upon the company.
Benefits of Pulse Oximeter
It is a valuable device for individuals whose oxygen levels are affected due to any disease. Some of the significant benefits of monitoring oxygen level by oximeter are:
- It helps to alert you when your oxygen level is below the recommended level by doctors. You could take preventive action at the initial stage only.
- Beneficial for people with cardiovascular or respiratory problems.
- It helps doctors to the device, how much supplements of oxygen a patient’s body needs.
- For people who consume drugs, an oximeter is a boon. It helps to know how much lungs and oxygen level is affected due to consumption of unhealthy things.
- If a patient is on therapy or a ventilator, an oximeter helps to monitor breathing interventions and improvement in health.
Apart from this, the oximeter helps doctors and patients in various other ways to check on health.
When to use it?
For doctors, it is compulsory to check the oxygen level of their patients at every appointment. But, if you are at home and thinking to buy an oximeter, then first consult your family doctor. If you have any health issues, buy a Pulse Oximeter and monitor as per the suggested duration by your doctor.
1. What is the Oxygen Saturation Level of a healthy human being?
The average oxygen level of an individual is 95% to 100%. Below than 95% is low, and below 90% is considered as danger level. One should take precautions once the oxygen level goes down from 95% and prevent significant problems.
2. What is Hypoxemia?
It is a term for low oxygen level in the blood of an individual. A related term “hypoxia” means abnormally low oxygen level in blood which is a sign of danger. Hypoxia can occur in patients suffering from anaemia.
3. Is Self-Proning effective to increase Oxygen Level?
It is the most effective organic technique to increase or maintain oxygen level in the blood. In this, one should lay back on the stomach with face down and keep a pillow below your face, stomach, and legs. It helps in getting higher oxygen than what we get while sitting normally.